Main Article Content
This study explores the knowledge, attitude, and practice (KAP) in legal metrology since there is very little information on knowledge, attitude, and practice concerning legal metrology. The survey data gathered from 24.360 respondents across 34 provinces in Indonesia assessed the understanding concerning legal metrology by applying descriptive statistics, correlation, and multinomial regression analysis. The results show the consumers generally have better knowledge in legal metrology, an excellent attitude about the importance of legal metrology, and critical behaviour in mitigating fraudulence risk when doing trade transactions at the marketplace. Variable of gender and age tends to impact knowledge, attitude, and practice concerning legal metrology issues. The study also found that the relationship between knowledge, attitude, and practice is likely to be non-linear.
The outcomes of exploring the behaviour of consumers through knowledge, attitude, and practice in legal metrology can be beneficial for legal metrology authorities to analyze the impact of setting policies and programs. Also, to develop a strategy to increase public awareness in legal metrology so that the consumers can be more critical in protecting themselves from various fraudulence in measurement in trade transactions.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Copyright © Kementerian PPN/Bappenas RI
- ADEOLU, A., ENESI, D. & ADEOLU, M. 2014. Assessment of secondary school students’ knowledge, attitude and practice towards waste management in Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria. Journal of Research in Environmental Science and Toxicology, 3, 66-73.
- AIGA, H., NGUYEN, V., NGUYEN DINH, C., NGUYEN, T. & NGUYEN, L. 2016. Knowledge, attitude and practices: Assessing maternal and child health care handbook intervention in Vietnam. BMC Public Health, 16.
- AL-SHABIB, N. A., MOSILHEY, S. H. & HUSAIN, F. M. 2016. Cross-sectional study on food safety knowledge, attitude and practices of male food handlers employed in restaurants of King Saud University, Saudi Arabia. Food Control, 59, 212-217.
- AMARASEKARA, P., DE SILVA, A., SWARNAMALI, H., SENARATH, U. & KATULANDA, P. 2016. Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices on Lifestyle and Cardiovascular Risk Factors Among Metabolic Syndrome Patients in an Urban Tertiary Care Institute in Sri Lanka. Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health, 28, 32S-40S.
- ARDIANTO, R. 2012. A Way to Stimulate Public Awareness. OIML Bulletin, LIII (2), 33-38.
- ARDIANTO, R. 2013. Weighing Scales Re-Checker Unit: A Tool to Boost Public Awareness and Encourage Participation in Legal Metrological Control. OIML Bulletin, LIV(2), 24-27.
- AWAD, A. I. & ABOUD, E. A. 2015. Knowledge, attitude and practice towards antibiotic use among the public in Kuwait. PloS one, 10, e0117910.
- BAKSHY, E., ROSENN, I., MARLOW, C. & ADAMIC, L. The role of social networks in information diffusion. Proceedings of the 21st international conference on World Wide Web, 2012. ACM, 519-528.
- BIRCH, J. 2003. Benefit of legal metrology for the economy and society.
- BORGATTI, S. P. & CROSS, R. 2003. A relational view of information seeking and learning in social networks. Management science, 49, 432-445.
- BOŠNJAKOVIĆ, A., BADNJEVIĆ, A. & DŽEMIĆ, Z. 2018. Legal Metrology System—Past, Present, Future. Inspection of Medical Devices. Springer.
- ELINDA-PATRA, M., DEWANTI-HARIYADI, R. & NURTAMA, B. 2020. Modeling of food safety knowledge, attitude, and behavior characteristics. Food Research, 4, 1045-1052.
- ELLEN, S. 2017. Slovin's Formula Sampling Techniques. Sciencing.
- JHA, N., RATHORE, D. S., SHANKAR, P. R., BHANDARY, S., ALSHAKKA, M. & GYAWALI, S. 2017. Knowledge, attitude and practice regarding Pharmacovigilance and consumer Pharmacovigilance among consumers at Lalitpur District, Nepal. Journal of Nepal Health Research Council, 15, 31-37.
- KIGARU, D. M. D., LOECHL, C., MOLEAH, T., MACHARIA-MUTIE, C. & NDUNGU, Z. W. 2015. Nutrition knowledge, attitude and practices among urban primary school children in Nairobi City, Kenya: a KAP study. BMC Nutrition, 1, 1-8.
- KRIŽAN, F., BILKOVÁ, K., BARLÍK, P., KITA, P. & KITA, P. 2018. SPATIAL DISTRIBUTION OF CONSUMER PREFERENCES
- CASE STUDY OF SHOPPING MALLS IN BRATISLAVA. Theoretical and Empirical Researches in Urban Management, 13, 13-21.
- LARSSON, G. & ENANDER, A. 1997. Preparing for disaster: public attitudes and actions. Disaster Prevention and Management: An International Journal, 6, 11-21.
- LEE, H. K., ABDUL HALIM, H., THONG, K. L. & CHAI, L. C. 2017. Assessment of food safety knowledge, attitude, self-reported practices, and microbiological hand hygiene of food handlers. International journal of environmental research and public health, 14, 55.
- MA, G. X., SHIVE, S., ZHANG, Y., AQUILANTE, J., TAN, Y., ZHAO, M., SOLOMON, S., ZHU, S., TOUBBEH, J., COLBY, L., MALLYA, G. & ZENG, Q. 2014. Knowledge, Perceptions, and Behaviors Related to Salt Use Among Philadelphia Chinese Take-Out Restaurant Owners and Chefs. Health Promotion Practice, 15, 638-645.
- MIRMIRAN, P., MOHAMMADI-NASRABADI, F., OMIDVAR, N., HOSSEINI-ESFAHANI, F., HAMAYELI-MEHRABANI, H., MEHRABI, Y. & AZIZI, F. 2010. Nutritional Knowledge, Attitude and Practice of Tehranian Adults and Their Relation to Serum Lipid and Lipoproteins
- Tehran Lipid and Glucose Study. Annals of Nutrition & Metabolism, 56, 233-240.
- MULEME, J., KANKYA, C., SSEMPEBWA, J. C., MAZERI, S. & MUWONGE, A. 2017. A Framework for Integrating Qualitative and Quantitative Data in Knowledge, Attitude, and Practice Studies: A Case Study of Pesticide Usage in Eastern Uganda. Frontiers in Public Health, 5.
- NOVIKOVAS, A. 2012. Peculiarities of administrative legal regulation of metrology. Jurisprudencija, 1515-1527.
- OIML 2011. D16 - Principal of assurance of metrological control. International Organization of Legal Metrology.
- OIML 2020. D1 - National metrology systems – Developing the institutional and legislative framework. International Organization of Legal Metrology.
- PAN, H.-H., SHIH, H.-L., WU, L.-F., HUNG, Y.-C., CHU, C.-M. & WANG, K.-Y. 2017. Path modeling of knowledge, attitude and practice toward palliative care consultation service among Taiwanese nursing staff: a cross-sectional study. BMC Palliative Care, 16, 42.
- PANDIAN, J. D., SANTOSH, D., KUMAR, T. S., SARMA, P. S. & RADHAKRISHNAN, K. 2006. High school students’ knowledge, attitude, and practice with respect to epilepsy in Kerala, southern India. Epilepsy & Behavior, 9, 492-497.
- RADHAKRISHNAN, K., PANDIAN, J., SANTHOSHKUMAR, T., THOMAS, S., DEETHA, T., SARMA, P., JAYACHANDRAN, D. & MOHAMED, E. 2000. Prevalence, knowledge, attitude, and practice of epilepsy in Kerala, South India. Epilepsia, 41, 1027-1035.
- RAHMAN, M. M., ARIF, M. T., BAKAR, K. & BT TALIB, Z. 2016. Food safety knowledge, attitude and hygiene practices among the street food vendors in Northern Kuching City, Sarawak. Borneo Science.
- RODRIGUES FILHO, B. A. & GONÇALVES, R. F. 2015. Legal metrology, the economy and society: A systematic literature review. Measurement, 69, 155-163.
- RODRIGUES FILHO, B. A. & GONÇALVES, R. F. Measuring the economic impact of metrological frauds in trade metrology using an Input-Output Model. IFIP International Conference on Advances in Production Management Systems, 2016. Springer, 624-632.
- RODRIGUES FILHO, B. A., NONATO, N. & CARVALHO, A. A risk analysis approach applied to field surveillance in utility meters in legal metrology. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 2018. IOP Publishing, 012001.
- RODRIGUES FILHO, B. A., SORATTO, A. & GONÇALVES, R. F. Information systems as a tool to improve legal metrology activities. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 2016. IOP Publishing, 012008.
- SANLIER, N. & KONAKLIOGLU, E. 2012. Food safety knowledge, attitude and food handling practices of students. British Food Journal.
- SAYUTI, Y., ALBATTAT, A., ARIFFIN, A., NAZRIN, N. & SILAHUDEEN, T. 2020. Food safety knowledge, attitude and practices among management and science university students, Shah Alam. Management Science Letters, 10, 929-936.
- SHARAFI, K., PIRSAHEB, M., MALEKI, S., ARFAEINIA, H., KARIMYAN, K., MORADI, M. & SAFARI, Y. 2018. Knowledge, attitude and practices of farmers about pesticide use, risks, and wastes; a cross-sectional study (Kermanshah, Iran). Science of the total environment, 645, 509-517.
- SHARIF, L. & AL-MALKI, T. 2010. Knowledge, attitude and practice of Taif University students on food poisoning. Food Control, 21, 55-60.
- SHARMA, S., MOERENHOUT, T. & GARG, V. 2018. Consumer Group Attitudes. Electricity Sector Reform in Uttar Pradesh:. International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD).
- SILTRAKOOL, B. 2018. Assessment of community pharmacists’ knowledge, attitude and practice regarding non-prescription antimicrobial use and resistance in Thailand.
- SLOVIN, E. 1960. Slovin's formula for sampling technique. Retrieved on February, 13, 2013.
- SOON, J. M. 2019. Food allergen knowledge, attitude and practices among UK consumers: A structural modelling approach. Food Research International, 120, 375-381.
- SUPRIYA, V. & RAMASWAMI, L. 2013. Knowledge, Attitude And Dietary Practices Of Track And Field Athletic Men And Women Aged 18-22 Years. International journal of innovative research and development, 2.
- WATKINS, L. K. F., SANCHEZ, G. V., ALBERT, A. P., ROBERTS, R. M. & HICKS, L. A. 2015. Knowledge and Attitudes Regarding Antibiotic Use Among Adult Consumers, Adult Hispanic Consumers, and Health Care Providers — United States, 2012–2013. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 64, 767-770.
- ZHANG, M., ZHOU, M., TANG, F., WANG, Y., NIE, H., ZHANG, L. & YOU, G. 2020. Knowledge, attitude, and practice regarding COVID-19 among healthcare workers in Henan, China. Journal of Hospital Infection, 105, 183-187.